Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Andrea Says: Carry On




I have a mental (and Facebook) countdown to when the boys head off on their big trip. Somehow people are getting it confused with a countdown to the Royal Wedding. While they are hitting the open road on British bikes, both boys are better looking than Prince William.

As I write this, I am sitting on an ugly bench in the middle of Mike’s Norwood apartment with moving boxes on one side and motorcycle gear on the other. Three days seems so far away.      

Many know that I’ve been with Mike since junior year of high school (12 years). In October we will start the new “married” phase of our lives. This trip has been called Mike’s last hurrah before the “big day.” But I know better. There are going to be more of these, maybe not as long, but there is one thing I’ve learned Mike and Paul are inseparable. They have childhood, teen, young adult and soon awesome road trip memories. 

The two, at times, seem to be of one mind. Trust me, I’ve been around both of them long enough to know when they are quoting “Seinfeld” or just making up dialogue. They often make up dialogue and Paul has a habit of telling lies as if they were fact (ask me later about how Martha’s Vineyard was formed).       

Along the way, the boys will be checking in and I will try to do my best to post musings from their journey when they can’t get to a computer. Though I am not as funny (cue Mike: “But you’re funny looking”), I will do my best to capture the humor of these two men that have been a huge part of my life.

I’ll end this post with a short memory. Gosh, it must have been 6 years ago, Paul, Mike and I went to a car rally in Maine. We couldn’t get the CD player to work. Mike was hitting it and Paul continued to clean the disk. It was just broken. Then, as if it wasn’t busted at all the CD started spinning and the opening lines to Kansas’s famous song blared: “Carry on my wayward son, there’ll be peace when you are done.” We all laughed and sang along. I now put that song is on every road trip CD I create.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post, Andrea. I agree that often times Paul and Mike are of one mind. Does that mean you are actually marrying both of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The days soon approach. This quote from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" seems apt.

    "In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You're a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame.

    On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming."

    I wish I could go... but three is a croud as are 3 decades of life.

    ReplyDelete