Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Border Crossings

Whew! Canada. They're not big on paving their roads there. And the national parks are fond of extorting money from travelers. So, we headed back for America. Montana to be exact.

America. It's so great, there's a line to get in. The customs officer was really cool too. He even called Canada "America's hat" and said it's like America, but with more expensive gas.



A friendly camping neighbor in Radium Hot Springs, BC, Travis, tipped us off to Cafe Jax in Eurika, Montana, a little past the border. Get the burgers, he said.



We both got burgers. I got mine with ham, feta and mushrooms. It was delicious, but I payed extra for Cajun fries and got normal fries with some sort of steak rub dumped on top. Over all, it was just OK.

The road we were planning on taking the next day, which is a scenic mountain road through Glacier National Park, was closed. Still closed for the winter. In June. So we had to take a blander, but still OK road along the edge of the park. It was rough and winding enough that I couldn't take many pictures while riding, but boring enough that you wouldn't want to see them anyway. When we came out on the other side of the park, we found a store with sundries.



After we spent the night in Montana and enjoyed a little bit of down time and a lovely Super 8 motel, we were off again! We stopped for lunch at Johnson's, which is a restaurant and camp ground. Weird, huh? Well, my South of the Border Salad (the Canadian border, that is) was excellent. Really top notch.


Outside the Johnson restaurant, Paul dons his shemagh while another patron looks on.













USA! WOOO!


Nice road, huh? Montana is pretty nice.


There's that guy on the bike again. He keeps following me. (It's just Paul.)




Notice the hood? I finally bought a sweat shirt like I've been meaning to do for two weeks. It is really ugly, but it was only $7. TJ Maxx. Shortly after this photo, I cut the hood off and kept the rest of the sweatshirt.




Can't stretch your legs like this on most bikes.




The ubiquitous biker wave.

Before long, we were in line at another border crossing. This time reentering Canada. The Canadian customs officers didn't like this at all. Both Paul and I got sent to the principal's office after the guy in the drive-up booth didn't like the look of us. I guess it was because we had just exited Canada the day before. I guess they thought we went back to the U.S. to make some more meth. A man who has never smiled in his life asked us way too many questions. I mean, way too much information to ask people he has no dirt on whatsoever. Like how much money is in our bank accounts. And how do I know the people I know in Canada. I was no more impressed with him than he was with us. He disappeared for a while with our passports to do a background check on us. When he came back, he told us to go check out with another officer. Not even a "welcome to Canada." I think he was actually disappointed that we weren't slave traders. If you're playing along at home, go to a police station and have a sit down for a while until someone tells you to leave.


Canada! We've got... uh... wind. I'm just kidding. Wind is great.

Whew! I've gotta leave off for now. Stay tuned for the next post!

4 comments:

  1. He was asking how much money is in your bank accounts because he wants to make sure that you aren't going to go broke while in Canada and not be able to afford your return to the country from whence you came. And then you'd become a hobo and bum around Canada for the rest of your days, making a pest of yourself to passersby. If you were a Canadian citizen, American customs would have asked you the same question when you tried to get into the U.S.

    Plus, people who are transporting meth across national borders shouldn't be so touchy. ;+)

    Love, Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen has pretty much made all the points I wanted to. Secretly, I always knew you two were meth smuggling, slave trade participating hobos. Somehow I feel like I let you both down by allowing this to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canada ought to have hastily parted the bureaucratic sea for those sexy bikes of yours.

    ReplyDelete