Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 19: Things don’t always go according to plan

18 May 2011

Our initial plan was to check out the Nuclear Museum in Albuquerque, check out Santa Fe and then stay at a place north of Santa Fe. Things were going swimmingly as we started to enter Albuquerque. Then, a bend came in the highway. Up to this point, my bike had not exhibited any strange handling characteristics. I pushed the handlebar to start leaning into the corner... it was extremely difficult. I managed to force the bike through the corner on the highway. Upon straightening out I looked at my front tire; it was flat! This was the first flat tire that I've ever encountered on a motorcycle and I've always been a little scared of potential outcomes. Luckily, I had become a member of the American Motorcycle Association before the trip and they provide roadside assistance. Compared to AAA, this was incredible. They arranged for the bike to be taken to the local Triumph Dealer, which they looked up for me. And also, the tow truck arrived in 45 minutes or so from the time of my first call. Sadly though, because of this delay we cancelled the Nuclear Museum and not sadly we decided to stay in Santa Fe for the night.








The Triumph Dealer was called PJs, and they were all extremely nice and genuine. I ended up getting new tires, both front and back because my tread was low anyway. While we were there with WiFi, I checked out the forecast for our upcoming days. This was bad news. It was then that we did our route change for Colorado.




Finally leaving the dealer, it started to rain so we high tailed it out of there to Santa Fe. Santa Fe was also rainy for the evening.




Santa Fe, aside from the rain, was unique and quite delightful. I expected it to be a bit mroe city-like. Sure, it was expansive, but the entire city had low buildings and felt like a small town. All over were adobe style buildings and quaint little side streets and alley ways. An odd thing about the city though, is that it has a REALLY high percentage of homeless. It seemed that there was a homeless person for every four or five normal citizens. This could have been because we were there on a weeknight after business hours. We ended up grabbing some food at this place called the Blue Corn Cafe or something like that. Their green chili stew is amazing by the way.





1 comment:

  1. the photo of the bike going on to the truck thing reminds me of "Crazy Taxi."

    ReplyDelete