Saturday, May 7, 2011


I had my first spill of the trip yesterday. I am fine aside from a very minor burn on my leg and a little bit of the jitters. I slid on some sand taking a very low speed turn up a steep hill. I don't remember exactly what happened but I ended up dumping my bike on a curb. The crash bars and pannier on that side took most of the hit, but the right foot peg snapped off in the process. After Paul helped me get the bike on its feet again, we got cracking at trying to figure out what to do. I ended up taking the passenger peg off of that side and using it to replace the broken peg. It's not quite the same as the way it was, and it's a little asymmetrical. Luckily this accident took place right outside of our destination for the night. I will try riding with the bodge job tomorrow and see how it feels. Maybe I will replace the other peg with the rear one, or maybe I will buy a whole new set. I did the whole repair job with nothing but a Swiss Army multitool, so replacing the pegs with a whole new set should be easy enough when I can find a pair. Here's how it looks now.

3 comments:

  1. Was this your first ever? Now you don't have to wonder, ''what do I do if I lay the bike down'?
    Glad you are ok :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All with just a multitool, I'm impressed. Your next challenge is an emergency appendectomy with the multitool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice talking to you on Mother's Day. The cup-cake tasting was fun. Glad you are having a great journey (except for the spill)

    ReplyDelete